Monday, July 28, 2008

Ramblings....

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

When I was in college I fell in love with Emerson's essays. His writing spoke to me...it just made sense. Perhaps it was his anti-slavery views or his love of nature. His essays just seemed like common sense to me.

I am finding myself returning to his words again as inspiration in my life currently.

Although I feel at ease with my parenting choices, there are times when we all question ourselves and I find the above quote as inspiring now as I did when I first read it (and highlighted it and "X-ed" it in my beautiful copy of Emerson's Essays many years ago. (Which happens to be a centennial edition that belonged to my mother's father.)

I feel very much at ease and comfortable with my mind and my life style right now. I think I really have an idea of what I need and want (and do not need) from this life and I have an idea of the things and people who make me happy.

"Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson