Thursday, April 23, 2009

We're Being Followed....

(I know he is very hard to see and his wife is virtually impossible but he is in front of the middle pomegranate tree. Click on the image to enlarge it)

One of the hardest parts about moving for all of us was leaving our bird friends behind. We spent countless hours watching and identifying our birds. I told the kids that our birds would follow us. Most of our friends have joined us here. The cardinals, the wrens, blue jays, chickadees, mockingbirds, sparrows, mourning doves and the white wing doves, the turkey vultures, even the red shouldered hawks have followed us here, except our painted bunting.

Today Annie went out on the back porch while we were eating lunch, I asked her to come back and sit at the table and finish her lunch. She very calmly replied, "No mom, I'm watching the painted bunting."

Here's the proof. There was a male and a female out there. We are all so thrilled. And the best part of this is that a friend of mine, who was a biologist for the city of Austin for 20 years and an avid bird watcher (she takes bird watching trips all over the world), told me that I wouldn't have painted buntings at our new house.......

I guess the birds are following us.

Click below for some old posts from last summer at our old house and the bunting.

Our Bunting
Painted Buntings

This is the above photo zoomed in.....