Sunday, October 19, 2008

15 Miles on the Erie Canal

Sunday October 19, 2008

This is a 3 day post...keep scrolling down to read more.

There was frost on the ground this morning when we woke up. But it warmed up nicely as we went to Schutts Apple Mill . We got lots of apples and Grammy and Bompa made apple sauce with the kiddos. I will post pictures of that tomorrow.

After Schutts we went to Wickham Farms for a train ride, a tractor pulled hay ride and a walk through a three-acre corn field maze. What a great day!

We are having a great time here and we are sad that our vacation is coming to an end, but we really really miss daddy and we can't wait to get home to see him!


Saturday October 18, 2008

Here's a picture from my Gram's 80th birthday party. Happy Birthday Great Gram!!


Friday October 17, 2008

I had a great morning with Aunt Pat. We went to lunch at Maria's Mexican Restaurant. Dare I say it is the best Mexican Restaurant in the States. No Tex-Mex here...just good fresh food. Cousin Dana joined us and after lunch we headed back to their house where Dana gave me my first Recorder lesson. Now I am excited to get back and start teaching myself and Annie to play. I just needed that boost...Thanks Dana!
(Grammy and Annie on the Erie Canal)

Later that day went to Fairport, NY with Grammy and Bompa to see the scarecrow festival, the Fairport Lift Bridge and the Erie Canal. Last summer we spent a lot of time exploring the canal history. I love the history of this area. It is so old and I love that the Erie Canal is partially responsible for opening the westward expansion of this country. Rochester also has a rich history of abolishinists and civil rights activists. Rochester was home to Frederick Douglas and Susan B. Anthony as well as many good families who opened their homes to the underground railroad. The house my Gram grew up in was part of the underground railroad. How awesome is that!!

(Bompa and Emerson on the Erie Canal)
"Low Bridge, Everybody Down (The Erie Canal)" by Thomas S. Allen, 1905

I've got a mule, and her name is Sal,
Fifteen miles on the Erie Canal.
She's a good ol' worker an' a good ol' pal,
Fifteen miles on the Erie Canal.
We've hauled some barges in our day,
Filled with lumber, coal, and hay,
And we know every inch of the way
From Albany to Buffalo.