Friday, October 3, 2008

No More "Toys Made in China" in My Home

No More "Made in China" in my home

I'm ANGRY because...

Last year it was pet food, this year it is baby formula.
Melamine. Office white boards are made of this stuff, the inside of shower stalls are made of this stuff. Apparently it increases the protein content of tested foods and it kills babies.

I am so angry with Chinese business right now. I am torn by a love for her people and ancient culture and a pure hatred for many of the Chinese manufacturers especially when it comes to products for my kids and even her own children. For a long time now there has been controversy over Chinese toys and lead paint. I subscribe to the consumer products safety commission cpsc.org and weekly there are children's items that are being recalled for lead paint or other dangers. I just can imagine how many dangerous products are not recalled. I think we are partially to blame as many American companies have shipped their manufactuing to China and many Americans refuse to pay the higher costs for things that are made close to home. (I am completely guilty of this).

I'm sure many of the people of the world feel this way about us, about my country for various reasons and I have to be careful and not hate the Chinese people. But I can hate the business practices of some of their businesses.

Although I love Chinese culture and her people, I am deciding to let no more "made in china" toys, jewelry, or anything that my babies are in contact with into my house.
Having said that I will be posting a list of some online stores that I hope are safe. And some of these have toys and such that are even made in the USA.

Here's some articles on the melamine in baby food...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/16/world/asia/16milk.html?ref=worldbusiness
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7609734.stm