Tuesday, December 1, 2009

New Patio

Our front entry was a weed infested muddy mess with cinder blocks dating back to 1972. You stepped off the driveway onto five 12" square boring concrete blocks to enter the front door.
This is the only pic we have of it. You can see the cinder blocks and the concrete square ...I'm standing in the doorway taking the picture.

It really drove me crazy and Mike and I went back and forth trying to decide between a concrete patio and a natural stone patio. The decision was easy to make once we realized there were major roots to our beloved Live Oak trees in the way. (these trees are currently being treated for oak wilt and I don't want to injure them in any way)

We dug about 6-8 inches down, purchased 8,000 pounds of local flag stone and decomposed granite and went to work. You can see the roots in the photo below...

Actually, Mike and my Dad did 90% of the digging. The kids and I did a little....
It's 400 sq ft of natural stone patio with decomposed granite. It's porous so the trees can still get water.
Emerson at work with his mentor, Grandpa Chuck
We are so very thankful to Grandpa Chuck for all of his back breaking hard work on the patio. THANK YOU DAD!!!!
The image above was taken from inside the house on a rainy day... You can get a good idea of the variations in color, shape and texture of the rock.

We added some iron patio furniture and some loblolly pine stumps from our friends in Bastrop, TX.

It is so nice! We love it so far!!

Now I have to get to work on covering up the remaining cinder blocks, planting my herb garden under the window and painting the house trim. Did I mention I need a red front door? Eventually, we want to add a pergola and a water feature...eventually.